Do you need to learn how to draw blood or simply want to improve your skills in a short amount of time? The Phlebotomy Technician Certificate Program provides hands-on training through in-person classes over a six-week period to ultimately prepare you for work as a Phlebotomist, as well as to prepare you for the National Phlebotomy Certification.
The Phlebotomy Technician Certificate Course is intended for those who have no experience and want to become employed as a Phlebotomy Technician in a clinical laboratory, medical clinic or public health department setting. Students are introduced to the healthcare environment, other healthcare professionals, and use of the electronic medical record. Lectures, laboratory demonstrations and experiences, and technical evaluation are utilized for the learning process. The Phlebotomy Technician Certificate Course also includes medical certifications required for future employment. These certifications include CPR for Healthcare Professionals, HIV/AIDS & Bloodborne Pathogens, Domestic Violence, HIPPA, and Prevention of Medical Errors. This course includes six weeks of coursework in medical terminology, quality assurance and legal concerns, safety and infection control, specimen processing, point-of-care testing, anatomy and physiology of the circulatory system, and venipuncture, arterial puncture, and skin puncture techniques.
The Phlebotomy Technician Certificate program will give you all the knowledge and skills you need for work as a Phlebotomist. Unlike other phlebotomy training courses that may be only on-line with virtual simulation, we have you practice on a training aid to build your confidence plus provide you with the opportunity to do live sticks within the classroom. There is nothing better than having the hands-on training that will build your level of competency in a safe and controlled environment to give you the assurance you need as you develop into a skilled Phlebotomist.
The Phlebotomy Technician Certification training Lecture and Textbook Topics will include the following:
- Phlebotomy Practice & Quality Assessment Standards
- Communication & Documentation
- Phlebotomy Medical Terminology & Anatomy
- Phlebotomy Equipment & Blood Draw Procedures
- Correct Order of Blood Draw, Tubes, and Additives
- Venipuncture procedures
- Point-of-Care Testing & Special Blood Draw Procedures
- Common Lab Test & Procedures
The Hands-on Phlebotomy Technician Certification Training will include the following:
- In-person training with the artificial training arms so that you can gain basic knowledge and comfort of properly working with the blood draw equipment and the blood draw procedure.
- Advancement to performance of drawing “live sticks” with the direct supervision of your instructor in the controlled classroom setting.
- Performance of live sticks using the most common blood draw techniques using the Syringe, Butterfly (wing infusion set), and Vacutainer needles to ensure you are well prepared for work in all Phlebotomy settings.
Certified Phlebotomy Technician through National Healthcareer Association (NHA) Certification
Once you have completed the Phlebotomy Technician Certificate Course, you are eligible to take the National Certified Phlebotomy Technician exam through National Healthcareer Association (NHA) hosted here at Southern Technical Institute. NHA study guides are available for an additional purchase of $59.00, (we host NHA testing once per month). Becoming a nationally certified phlebotomist will increase your employment opportunities and build better credibility in your Phlebotomy profile. This test is included in the price of your course! **National Certification Exam MUST be taken within 90 days of course completion, once past 90 days you will need to pay the full cost of the NHA National Certification Exam**